A Woman of No Importance

The critic is he who can translate into another manner of a new material his impression of beautiful things

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Time of my life

This weekend goes right up there with the best weekends in Austria ever. To start the weekend I got up on Fri and did my laundry from Rome and Assisi, so now all my clothes are clean. I really can't wait to come back and do my laundry with American detergent. It smells so much better. I just want some Tide, or All, something that makes my clothes have that freshly cleaned scent. Something like that. Either way though, my clothes are clean. Afterwards I went up to the Welkers to help them out making food and setting up furnature for the Lord of the Rings marathon yesterday. The Welkers are so much fun. I love them to death. Mrs. Welker is crazy and hilarious, and Mr. Welker is pretty much the same. Then there's their 7 kids who are just like them. If you go to the Welkers you have a good time, unless you come from a small family, then you get freaked out. Anyway I came back from that and watched Elf with a lot of people in the Franziscus room on the projector. Then we watched White Christmas after that. Yes, the season of Christmas movies has begun. Next week we're going to have a girls night in FRD's apartment. We're going to have Christmas tea and watch A Christmas Story, and who knows what after that. Watching movies in the Franziscus room is a lot of fun because there's tons of room and tons of couches and the company's not too bad either.

Yesterday I got up very early and went to breakfast, then I gathered up my blanket and pillow and headed over to the Welkers so I could get a good seat for the 9AM starting time. There were soooo many people there. We must have stuffed at least 45 people into their little living room, but it was totally worth it. We started off with the Fellowship, despite protests from the back that we should start at the end and work our way foward. I was in the back too, but not protesting. We also started off with some coffee and soda, all those little perk you up in the morning type things. We were watching the extended movies so each movie is on 2 discs...small favors. During the disc change we would all get up and stretch out our poor aching knees, get feeling back into our legs, use the bathroom, then once more assume the movie watching position. I was on one of the couches in the back, which was good for viewing the movie, but not so good for your legs because there were people sitting all in front of the couch. That meant that your legs had to be on the couch with you. That would have been fine except that for most of the time there were 4 of us on the couch that I'm pretty sure was only made for 3 people. Oh, but it was so much fun. After the first movie we stopped for about an hour and had lunch which was some egg and meat thing with bread and homemade hummus, and more coffee, and chips. Then back to the couch for the second. After the second we stopped again for a little bit longer and had dinner. Dinner was homemade American Thanksgiving food, because that's not what you get at the mensa. We had real turkey, with cranberry sauce, and stuffing, and salad and more bread, and oh yes it was all homemade. I love the Welkers. After dinner there was more coffee, wine, pies of every kind, coffee grinders, and popcorn. After dinner was also the home stretch. It started off quiet because everyone was so full, but around 10 or 10:30 (the movies ended at 11) those of us in the back started to get a little slap happy. There was a little more cheering for the good looking people, a little more commenting on the story, and a general spread of laughter throughout, even at the sad parts. I had a really good time though, and even though it is not something I think should be done on a regular basis, it makes for a fantastic Thanksgiving tradition.

Today I was lazy, all day long, and I just got done watching the new Pride and Prejudice, and I still don't like it.

This weekend movie totals are at 6, hourly totals....I don't even want to know.

2 comments:

At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't like the new Pride and Prejudice much either, but Thursday did. I think it is just because he never saw the "real" one.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Wimsey said...

Agreed. Though I did like some parts of the new one, and am glad to have it in my collection, on the whole I'll take the A&E version.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home