A Woman of No Importance

The critic is he who can translate into another manner of a new material his impression of beautiful things

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Allow me to redirect your thoughts

Allow me if you will to take you back in time, to a time when I was still in Kartauseville and had not yet made the long journey back to the home country. Anyway, the night that we are entering into is the night of the return journey, and for this night the people in charge thought they would keep us up all night to help us get used to the transition back into the time zone of the homeland. Around 3 in the morning they piled us onto the fabulous buses....remember, orange buses, bad, white buses, good, extra leg room. They also gave us bagged food for the last time. Oh bagged food, how I miss thee. Anyway we rode on the buses for the 2.5 hours that it took to get to the Wein airport. Well the airport was your usual European airport, with places to go to check your luggage, and security, and checkins and all those sorts of things. Inside we formed a rediculously long line, that a bunch of other people kept cutting into, at the checkpoint. The line went back and forth between going quickly and slowly. A lot of people had overweight luggage, and some of them just paid the extra, and others decided to move the things in their suitcases around, and get in the way, and everyone behind them not with us kepy getting angry. There was a group of I think 4 people in front of me from somewhere, and one of them kept yelling at us.
After pretty much all of us who were leaving that night got through the line, we realized that we still had about 4 hours to wait before our respective flights left. I don't know if you've ever been the Wein airport, or if you remember it, so I shall describe it. Instead of having one spot where you go through security and go down into the terminals and wait, there are little security points right before the little room that you board the airplane from. It was a very interesting system, but I think I like the mass security a little better. Anyway, to waist some time we looked at pretty much all of the shops on the way to our terminal. At this point though I was getting close to being awake for 24 hours, so I headed down to where we were supposed to board the planes, but because of the security thing we couldn't go sit in those chairs by the desk for boarding. Instead we ended up gathering in the area that was kind of like a circle with something in the middle, I think it was a plant. Anyway we gathered there and pretty much crashed.
After a little bit one of the security people came by and told us all to get up, but there was a lot of confusion, and we were all extremely tired, so we couldn't figure out what we wanted. We thought that we were taking up too much room, so we moved closer to the thing I think was a plant in the middle. A little bit later though one of the people with us came over and informed us that no, he didn't want us to move closer to the plant thing, he wanted us to get out of there, off the floor, or he was going to call the police. Well, we thought that he could have just said police in the first place and we all would have run away, but at least someone found out before he called them. So, we had to gather up all of our stuff and with our very tired bodies move down to this little waiting area about 500 meters away that we had missed in our effort to get as close to home as possible.
The next part is pretty boring. Basically it goes that pretty much none of us slept, myself included. Oh yes, we were pretty hungry by now too; the bagged food had been eaten pretty much as soon as it was given to us. After the not sleeping we made another extremely long line and went through security. Then because the people who were going to New York were just separated from us by a couple pieces of glass we made sad faces at them for a while. Then we made another long line and boarded onto the plane. On the plane I was a lucky little sucker and had the two seats all the way stage right, with a window, all to myself. As soon as I got on the you'd think that I would fall asleep right away. Oh no, they were showing movies on the plane that I had never seen before, and at this point I was so tired that I wasn't even sleepy anymore. I watched a couple movies, and ate the couple of meals they gave us, and about 4 hours before landing I crashed and slept the rest of the way to the homeland.
Once in the homeland we had to go through the wonderful thing called customs. There was a lot of goodbye saying there, and some rediculously cliche things. I think some people started singing American songs. I don't think the customs people liked us much. Anyway, I got through with no problem, I had no alchohol, I did have Milka, and the guy definitly did not know that word, so I had to clarify. I had chocolate, and nothing else of great importance. Then we got to pick up our luggage from a little carosel thing, and bring it to the homeland people. I grabbed my luggage, and with one of my friends hurried down there, saying "They let us in!" mostly to myself because I was tired, and it was amusing at the time.
Meanwhile, back on the ranch....I had to get a shuttle to the terminal I wanted. I was with a bunch of other people, and one of them who had turned 21 while we were away was saying that she was going to go out with her sister and get her first American Marguirita. I was about to say "Me too!" when I realized that no, those days of happiness were over for now, and I still had to wait some years before I could go out with my sister and get American alchohol. I still get depressed when I think about that time.
I had a couple of hours to wait inside the DC airport so I found a nasty American pizza place and got some nasty American pizza, and it was wonderful. Everyone's flight ended up being delay...except of course the people that were running a little bit late to catch their flights. All of those left on time. The weirdest part about all the delayed flights was that there was perfect weather in DC and there was perfect weather all the places they were going to. Apparently the people in DC were having problems doing their jobs. Oh, I also forgot to mention that I borrowed a friend's phone and called meine Mutter from the airport, first of all to say hi, because I hadn't talked on the phone to anyone in the homeland since I left, and second of all to say my flight was delayed.
After a few hours of waiting I got onto a tiny little plane that held about 30 people headed to the good old land called Boston by the settlers. That flight was about an hour, and I slept through the whole thing. At this point it was about 24 hours since I had left Osterreich, and I'd slept 5 in about 2 days, but besides the fact that my body was slowly shutting down, I never would have guessed it. Anyway I picked up my carryon that didn't fit in the overheads of the tiny little plane, and headed off to get out of the airport and find both my luggage and my people.
My people were supposed to be waiting for me when I got into the airport, but thankfully for me I knew my people and that they wouldn't be there. So I came down to the luggage claim area, and passed through the little groups of people waiting for loved ones, etc. I got my bags and figured that if I just stood there long enough that they would find me. Sure enough, about 5 minutes later they all showed up, and it was a hugs and giggles, except from Captain America who seemed a little grumpy, as is his usual custom. After a little confusion and annoyed looks my people all got together so I could take a picture of all of them together.
I was all for going somewhere to get something to eat, but the general decision was just to go to bed, and that turned out to be a good idea. On the way home I talked the entire time. I mean it, the entire time. Then when I got home I said hello to my overgrown rodents, who were overjoyed at my return. They said "Yay, the other person who feeds us has come home!" I pulled my suitcases into my room and proceded to fall asleep. I then slept for about 14 hours, and woke up on a lovely Saturday afternoon back in the homeland, back in my own room, in my own bed, with my overgrown rodents outside the door waiting for me to come out so they could exclaim, "You came out of your room!"
And that's how I re-entered the homeland.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home